The Season 5 premiere of AMC’s the Walking Dead “No Sanctuary,” reportedly delivered the highest ratings in the series history, last Sunday. With 17.3 Million viewers, it apparently even beat out Sunday Night Football, in the key 18-49 demographic.

AMC President Charlie Collier was heard to remark “It’s a Dead Man’s Party. Who could ask for more?” quoting the famous Oingo Boingo song.

We watched the season 5 premiere of Walking Dead last night, I was on tenterhooks the first ten minutes or so and greatly entertained the rest of the episode. While watching the show, I tried to identify what it was that I found appealing about the whole thing, is it just about the visceral gratification of seeing zombies getting blasted?

SPOILERS

Maybe I’m deceiving myself, but I don’t think it is all about the graphic displays of violence. I was completely vested in Tyreese’s emotional struggle and ‘rejoiced greatly’ when the zombies all went silent and Tyreese burst in the door. I shared in the party’s grim determination while in the boxcar, to survive at all costs. Admittedly I felt absolutely no remorse when Carol kneecapped Tasha Yar and left her to her ‘fate’, but I was moved by Carol’s acceptance back into the group, afterwards. What didn’t work for me so much was the writers’ attempt to make me feel some sort of understanding/acceptance for the Termites’ supposed tragic journey into becoming the ‘butchers’, and you can blow up a propane tank with a bottle rocket? Really? If only I had known that as a teenager.

Yeah, okay, sure the choreographed violence is a big part of the show, but I think it’s just a backdrop to the powerful storytelling going on. That is what keeps me tuning in, even though when it comes to people getting their faces ate off, I suddenly develop an intense visual interest in the floor . . .

77 Comments
  1. Forlath Grey 4 years ago

I did not enjoy this episode as much this week, S5, Ep4 ‘Slabtown’ . . .

SPOILERS

. . . Carol showing up on the stretcher was pretty much the most interesting thing about this episode. The characters just weren’t as compelling, I can’t really put my finger on it, it just felt kinda flat.

I honestly thought Beth would have to leave Noah behind, was a bit surprised when it turned out the other way around. Don’t think it’s Carol in the bushes with Daryl, Carol’s character isn’t a wait in the bushes kind of gal. I can’t help wondering if this is Carol’s last season. So am mildly disappointed that we won’t be getting to the end of this storyline next episode but yeah, am definitely looking forward to a better episode next week. On to Washington!

2. Just Justine 4 years ago

Agreed. Honestly, as much as she talks about being tough, if it wasn’t for the others protecting her, she would have been a walker by now. Her character is kind of boring….’I sing’, I still sing’. Guess that is her point in the show, kind of the protection/survival of a gentle innocence or something in a harsh reality?
    Yeah, I read too much into things.

Did you hear something about Carol not continuing with the show? She is one of the stronger characters IMHO, it would be a shame if she was written out.

3. Just Justine 4 years ago

Andrea, gone but not forgotten.
    WALKING DEAD STAR HELPS BUST SEX RING

4. Forlath Grey 4 years ago

My premonition for Carol’s character is based on three things:

1. She’s been talking about leaving ever since she got back.
    2. The ‘not the type of person to hid in the bushes’ thing, if that’s not her in the bushes, where is she?
    3. She showed up the end of last episode on a stretcher!

Heard about the Andrea thing, mind boggling.

5. Just Justine 4 years ago

It’s hard to believe such things go on like what was in that sting operation.
    It shows the light vs the dark side of human nature.
    I wonder what happens to the girls after they are rescued, though?

It makes one realize how lucky they really are, and shouldn’t complain.

6. Forlath Grey 4 years ago

Watched your ‘Andrea’ vid this morning, found it immensely depressing and can’t quite shake the feeling they see it all as one big adventure, not to mention while bringing attention to the plight of these girls is definitely a good thing, won’t the personal recognition a movie brings ruin their cover for any future such missions? That aside, yes, ‘Andrea’s’ willingness to place her self in harm’s way for the cause is amazing . . .

7. Forlath Grey 4 years ago

Loved the ‘evolution of zombies in pop culture’ article, is that really the appeal, the fact that there is no grey area in killing zombies, no remorse, no need to feel guilty, they are definitely ‘bad guys’?

8. Just Justine 4 years ago

Didn’t George Romero use zombies as a metaphor for how mindless the majority of the human race is? Just a herd of stumbling daily decomposing puppets feeding off of others? sort of symbolic of the living (cuz, yeah, we’re born, then ever so slowly begin ‘decomposing’ daily in a way)?
    and anyway, we kill animals and plants to survive (some doing it for profit and pleasure) and never give it a second thought, go to war and kill others of our kind (even the innocent), so what’s the difference between us and zombies? zombies no longer have intelligence or a conscience so they can be excused.
    or something. yeah.

9. Just Justine 4 years ago

Have you noticed how clean everyone is? Guess they bathe in lakes/streams? And I suppose deodorant and perfume is an out, unless the scent is like ‘essence of entrails’ or something.

10. Forlath Grey 4 years ago

Hahaha, been wondering that as well, especially since they met Minister Stokes. Maybe everyone in the zombie apocalypse gets their clothes dry cleaned by Noah?

11. Forlath Grey 4 years ago

The Walking Dead . . .

DO I? DO I?

12. Just Justine 4 years ago

Watched WD. SPOILERS!
    In brief, a very deep, meaningful conversation was had between Maggie and Eugene
    concerning his mullet. Eugene finally admits he is not what he led them to believe. He’s also a perv. Unless he was just examining what was on the shelf and looked up….yeah, no.
    Got a peak into Abe’s backstory.
    Abe loses it and goes serious bat crap on Eugene.
    A massive mob of zombies up ahead, will they go back now that the truth has come out, or will they continue towards Washington (which Eugene, before having his face rearranged by Abe, thought would be their best bet.)

13. Just Justine 4 years ago

Just read the latest in the graphic novels. Dunno how they will keep it from just becoming repetitious.

14. Just Justine 4 years ago

Oh, and they said due to the censor’s, last nites episode almost didn’t air. All I can think of, it had to be the sex scene, because it can’t be due to the violence. I don’t get it, with shows like ‘Game of Continual Nakedness and Explicit Sex onThrones’, this was mild. If they decide to bring Negan into it, I dunno how they will handle that when every other word out of his mouth is ‘F***’ or a derivative thereof. Everything he says is either obscene or a curse word, though sometimes he can be funny.
    In the current volume Negan captures Eugene and says if he doesn’t work for them, he’ll start cutting off Eugene’s body parts starting with ‘his most valued part first ‘…. after watching last nites episode I thought ‘OMG, not his mullet! ‘ 🙂

15. Forlath Grey 4 years ago

Watched S5, Ep5, ‘Self Help’ last night. First thought – so Daddy beat some bad men to death with a can of corn, so what, it’s the zombie apocalypse. Didn’t really buy the whole ‘family freaking out thing’ and was quite distraught at what he found when he went looking for them. Is Eugene even still alive? And yes, of course they’ll go back, even if you do want to go on to Washington (which I don’t get), go back and get the rest of your merry band first . . . presuming they’re still there . . .

16. Forlath Grey 4 years ago

Second thought – yeah, nobody bought that Eugene ‘is a scientist with a way to stop the zombie apocalypse’ thing, when he first came on the scene, but I have to admit, recently, a couple of the comments he made did make me stop and wonder . . . and now he’s a doughy mess, flat out on his back on the interstate . . . um, SPOILERS . . .

17. Just Justine 4 years ago

Comic Spoiler
    In the comic, Eugene is a science teacher, dunno if they will use that in the tv series.

18. Just Justine 4 years ago

Walking Dead Spinoff
    Same apocalypse, different locale. Wonder if it will be somewhere else in the US, or has it spread to other countries? Walking Dead South America, Walking Dead Eruope, Walking Dead Japan, Walking Dead Australia….they’ve probably already migrated to Canada, ay.

19. Forlath Grey 4 years ago

Finally watched the mid-season finale and SPOILERS!!

NOOOOooooooo, I was just starting to warm up to Beth! Which was probably the point, doesn’t make it any easier. I wonder if the writers, Kirkman, et cetera, have body guards, because c’mon, surely it would be a case of fans running into them and saying – yeah, great show but you suck!

Strangely enough, this episode was still one of my favorites this season, and before you say it’s because of Beth, screw you, it had nothing to do with that, I was caught up in Rick’s resolve and the whole ‘where are your people?” Silenced sniper shot at the zombie at 1:00 – “they’re around.”

Watched talking dead afterwards and when the actress who played Beth started crying . . . *sigh*. But I agree with Kirkman, if you hadn’t watched the evolution through the previous seasons, you would think these people were insane. I remember thinking when Rick shot what’s his name after running him down – Shane would be proud . . .