Walking Dead, Season 5

Walking Dead, Season 5

The Season 5 premiere of AMC’s the Walking Dead “No Sanctuary,” reportedly delivered the highest ratings in the series history, last Sunday. With 17.3 Million viewers, it apparently even beat out Sunday Night Football, in the key 18-49 demographic.

AMC President Charlie Collier was heard to remark “It’s a Dead Man’s Party. Who could ask for more?” quoting the famous Oingo Boingo song.

We watched the season 5 premiere of Walking Dead last night, I was on tenterhooks the first ten minutes or so and greatly entertained the rest of the episode. While watching the show, I tried to identify what it was that I found appealing about the whole thing, is it just about the visceral gratification of seeing zombies getting blasted?

SPOILERS

Maybe I’m deceiving myself, but I don’t think it is all about the graphic displays of violence. I was completely vested in Tyreese’s emotional struggle and ‘rejoiced greatly’ when the zombies all went silent and Tyreese burst in the door. I shared in the party’s grim determination while in the boxcar, to survive at all costs. Admittedly I felt absolutely no remorse when Carol kneecapped Tasha Yar and left her to her ‘fate’, but I was moved by Carol’s acceptance back into the group, afterwards. What didn’t work for me so much was the writers’ attempt to make me feel some sort of understanding/acceptance for the Termites’ supposed tragic journey into becoming the ‘butchers’, and you can blow up a propane tank with a bottle rocket? Really? If only I had known that as a teenager.

Yeah, okay, sure the choreographed violence is a big part of the show, but I think it’s just a backdrop to the powerful storytelling going on. That is what keeps me tuning in, even though when it comes to people getting their faces ate off, I suddenly develop an intense visual interest in the floor . . .

Comments: 77
  • Just Justine October 14, 2014 19:32

SPOILER
    I could see Rick’s point in going back and finishing off Gareth & company, because I’d assume any of them that survived would just regroup and do it again, BUT, it could be risking their (team Rick) lives to go back. Hard choice. Blind revenge or extermination (so they can’t harm anyone else)? I think Rick should have put ‘BEWARE, LIVING CANNIBALS’ on the Terminus Sanctuary sign.
    The whole Terminus thing, there, you’d always be a possible item on the menu.
    Tyreese is just an absolute powerhouse! And a big ole teddy bear of a man. If I had to choose who to travel with under those circumstances, I’d pick him and Carol.

And Carol shot the tank first, then used the rocket in the released gas.

• Ezra Yesterday October 15, 2014 12:52

Fair dues, credit where credit is due and all that – Thanks Ezra.

Don’t mention it, my good fellow… Really it was nothing.

• Just Justine October 22, 2014 17:46

You pretty much nailed it. Yes, it was in the comic, but not roasted ‘leg of Bob’ although he left for the same reason you cited.

COMIC SPOILER
    It happened to Dale in the comic, he was bitten while at the prison and it was his leg they amputated (not Hershel’s), later he was bitten again (I think in the shoulder) kept it a secret and left the group (like Bob did), was captured and his other leg was what was eaten. Yeah, he didn’t have a leg to stand on at that point <(feel free to moan). Why eating someone bitten would make a difference if they all are infected anyway, I just don't know. I've mentioned all this before. It's kind of been like an out of sequence mashup between the comic and the series. There are some major differences with characters (like ones that aren't in the comic) such as who dies and when, or who loves whom, or who has missing appendages, but a lot of the story is the same. There are other 'settlements' in the comic. Peaceful ones. And protection rackets. And some really cool characters, as well as more crazies. If they go into this, the series can run for a long time. I think they will be bringing Negan into it. Just hope he doesn't use Lucille on Glenn 🙁 The violence is toned down a lot in the series. The interesting thing about both the comic and the series is the ethical aspects when there is no 'law and order' enforced. Like the Gov was crazy, but he was somewhat like Rick, looking out for 'his people'. Actually, he was less abhorable than the Termites. The comic is worth reading, just don't read too far ahead, if knowing stuff in advance bothers you.

• Just Justine October 24, 2014 16:12

Yes, it is. Muchly so.

Before Bob was with Rick & Co., he said he was with others, though
    I thought he said they all died, but who knows, maybe he was with
    Gareth either before he went cannibal or Bob just didn’t go along with
    the meal choices.

• Just Justine October 24, 2014 16:16

Does that mean Gareth and the remainder of his group will become Wendigos?

• Just Justine October 26, 2014 10:46

10 True Stories of Survival Cannibalism
    I think I’d rather starve…..guess then I’d be on the menu.
    Anyway, here’s this Post Nuclear Family Cannibals
    Yes, it’s in very poor taste

• Just Justine October 29, 2014 18:44

THE OTHER DEAD
    Sounds kinda interesting. Maybe.
    Has anyone read the comic?

• Just Justine October 30, 2014 07:29

The Other Dead would just toss Ranger Rick’s reassurance!

• Just Justine November 3, 2014 17:34

So at least we kinda know what happened to Beth.
    SPOILER ALERT
    The entire episode was about Beth. Beth was not in the comic, so none of this episode relates.
    I wonder if that is why they split everyone up, to do separate stories about each group until/if they
    reunite?
    SERIOUS SPOILER at the end of last night’s episode Carol was brought in on a stretcher,
    though they did not show Daryl. At the end of the previous episode, when Michonne was seated on
    the church steps rebonding with her katana and heard rustling in the bushes and went to investigate,
    Daryl steps out and tells someone still in the bushes ‘it’s ok, come out’. Is it Beth and Carol, and, perhaps others from the hospital?
    Apparently next week it will focus on Abraham and Co.

1 2 3 4