The Season 5 premiere of AMC’s the Walking Dead “No Sanctuary,” reportedly delivered the highest ratings in the series history, last Sunday. With 17.3 Million viewers, it apparently even beat out Sunday Night Football, in the key 18-49 demographic.

AMC President Charlie Collier was heard to remark “It’s a Dead Man’s Party. Who could ask for more?” quoting the famous Oingo Boingo song.

We watched the season 5 premiere of Walking Dead last night, I was on tenterhooks the first ten minutes or so and greatly entertained the rest of the episode. While watching the show, I tried to identify what it was that I found appealing about the whole thing, is it just about the visceral gratification of seeing zombies getting blasted?

SPOILERS

Maybe I’m deceiving myself, but I don’t think it is all about the graphic displays of violence. I was completely vested in Tyreese’s emotional struggle and ‘rejoiced greatly’ when the zombies all went silent and Tyreese burst in the door. I shared in the party’s grim determination while in the boxcar, to survive at all costs. Admittedly I felt absolutely no remorse when Carol kneecapped Tasha Yar and left her to her ‘fate’, but I was moved by Carol’s acceptance back into the group, afterwards. What didn’t work for me so much was the writers’ attempt to make me feel some sort of understanding/acceptance for the Termites’ supposed tragic journey into becoming the ‘butchers’, and you can blow up a propane tank with a bottle rocket? Really? If only I had known that as a teenager.

Yeah, okay, sure the choreographed violence is a big part of the show, but I think it’s just a backdrop to the powerful storytelling going on. That is what keeps me tuning in, even though when it comes to people getting their faces ate off, I suddenly develop an intense visual interest in the floor . . .

77 Comments
  1. Forlath Grey 4 years ago

Oh, yeah, they so should have let Rick go back and finish off Gareth, we all know they’ll end up regretting that decision. And Morgan is alive, and on their trail?? Who’s marking the trees for him to follow?? Are we really supposed to believe someone has been taking the time to mark trees all this time??

2. Just Justine 4 years ago

SPOILER
    I could see Rick’s point in going back and finishing off Gareth & company, because I’d assume any of them that survived would just regroup and do it again, BUT, it could be risking their (team Rick) lives to go back. Hard choice. Blind revenge or extermination (so they can’t harm anyone else)? I think Rick should have put ‘BEWARE, LIVING CANNIBALS’ on the Terminus Sanctuary sign.
    The whole Terminus thing, there, you’d always be a possible item on the menu.
    Tyreese is just an absolute powerhouse! And a big ole teddy bear of a man. If I had to choose who to travel with under those circumstances, I’d pick him and Carol.

And Carol shot the tank first, then used the rocket in the released gas.

3. Forlath Grey 4 years ago

Yes, yes, the bottle rocket supposedly ignited the propane. We watched the same show, still a million to one shot. But I won’t let that detract from what was possibly my favorite episode to date . . . And you’ll be happy to know this the first time where the show has actually inspired a desire to read the comics (even if they are ‘completely different’), . . .

4. Forlath Grey 4 years ago

“Not if you have an accurate weapon with scope and are a crack shot. Yeah, I’m happy IT inspired you….”

Um, you do realize she didn’t actually shoot the rocket out of the rifle, just used it for launching, right? Fairly certain a scope is not going to help you much with azimuth aiming . . . Oh, that’s right, thanks for reminding me, there was a lot of talk about the comics here on the site, wasn’t there? Fair dues, credit where credit is due and all that – Thanks Ezra.

5. Ezra Yesterday 4 years ago

Fair dues, credit where credit is due and all that – Thanks Ezra.

Don’t mention it, my good fellow… Really it was nothing.

6. Forlath Grey 4 years ago

Season 5, Ep2, “Strangers”

SPOILERS

“He who eats my flesh, and drinks my blood, shall have eternal life” – wow, that is one intense church. Yep, we knew the Termites would be back, but what was up with Bob, why was he crying outside, why the tender, last kiss? Unless of course Bob had been bit by the underwater zombie, knew and went outside to end it all and that was why he was crying. Wouldn’t that rain on the Termites um, Bob-B-Q. And the whole pastor thing, yeah, I don’t trust him either but I’m guessing it was a case of him locking himself up in the church and leaving his parishioners to die outside and not anything more sinister, unless of course he’s acting as a lookout for the Termites . . but I think that’s a plot long shot.

But season five and we’re fighting cannibals who graphically eat you a piece at a time, seriously, where can they go from here? Just, was this cannibal storyline in the comics?

7. Just Justine 4 years ago

You pretty much nailed it. Yes, it was in the comic, but not roasted ‘leg of Bob’ although he left for the same reason you cited.

COMIC SPOILER
    It happened to Dale in the comic, he was bitten while at the prison and it was his leg they amputated (not Hershel’s), later he was bitten again (I think in the shoulder) kept it a secret and left the group (like Bob did), was captured and his other leg was what was eaten. Yeah, he didn’t have a leg to stand on at that point <(feel free to moan). Why eating someone bitten would make a difference if they all are infected anyway, I just don't know. I've mentioned all this before. It's kind of been like an out of sequence mashup between the comic and the series. There are some major differences with characters (like ones that aren't in the comic) such as who dies and when, or who loves whom, or who has missing appendages, but a lot of the story is the same. There are other 'settlements' in the comic. Peaceful ones. And protection rackets. And some really cool characters, as well as more crazies. If they go into this, the series can run for a long time. I think they will be bringing Negan into it. Just hope he doesn't use Lucille on Glenn 🙁 The violence is toned down a lot in the series. The interesting thing about both the comic and the series is the ethical aspects when there is no 'law and order' enforced. Like the Gov was crazy, but he was somewhat like Rick, looking out for 'his people'. Actually, he was less abhorable than the Termites. The comic is worth reading, just don't read too far ahead, if knowing stuff in advance bothers you.

8. Forlath Grey 4 years ago

Wait, you’re saying the comic is more violent??

Another thing, was it just me or did it seem Gareth knew Bob personally? You know, beyond a ‘hmm, you taste good’ kind of way?

9. Just Justine 4 years ago

Yes, it is. Muchly so.

Before Bob was with Rick & Co., he said he was with others, though
    I thought he said they all died, but who knows, maybe he was with
    Gareth either before he went cannibal or Bob just didn’t go along with
    the meal choices.

10. Just Justine 4 years ago

Does that mean Gareth and the remainder of his group will become Wendigos?

11. Forlath Grey 4 years ago

Asked a waitress today, if she was any relation to Gareth the leader of the termites, the resemblance was striking . . . yeah, she didn’t exactly take it as a compliment for some reason . . . I probably won’t be going back . . .

12. Just Justine 4 years ago

10 True Stories of Survival Cannibalism
    I think I’d rather starve…..guess then I’d be on the menu.
    Anyway, here’s this Post Nuclear Family Cannibals
    Yes, it’s in very poor taste

13. Forlath Grey 4 years ago

Not so much Wendigos as just very, very dead. Watched S5, Ep3 “Four Walls and a Roof” last night. Poor Bob, but it was inevitable, that’s what happens when you fall in love in the apocalypse.

Some very brutal scenes, I missed the significance of the red handled machete at first. Wow. There was no triumph in their victory, just brutality, necessary perhaps, but still anything but gratifying. I know some would disagree, but I still think the violence is not glorified violence for its own sake, the writers make it a shock to your system every single time. Something about keeping you as the viewer vested in the characters because survival in this fictional world is so precarious?

Anyway, is it Beth in the bushes? Looks like we finally get to hear her story. Typical though, she (possibly) returns hours after her sister departs for D.C. – NEVER SPLIT UP THE GROUP! Have you learned nothing!

14. Just Justine 4 years ago

THE OTHER DEAD
    Sounds kinda interesting. Maybe.
    Has anyone read the comic?

15. Forlath Grey 4 years ago

How bizarre! Guess even Animal Planet can’t resist cashing in on the zombie craze . . .

16. Just Justine 4 years ago

The Other Dead would just toss Ranger Rick’s reassurance!

17. Forlath Grey 4 years ago

Hahaha. Very amusing.

Here’s another . . .

Walking Dead – Bad Lip Reading, season 4

18. Forlath Grey 4 years ago

Happy Halloween!

19. Just Justine 4 years ago

So at least we kinda know what happened to Beth.
    SPOILER ALERT
    The entire episode was about Beth. Beth was not in the comic, so none of this episode relates.
    I wonder if that is why they split everyone up, to do separate stories about each group until/if they
    reunite?
    SERIOUS SPOILER at the end of last night’s episode Carol was brought in on a stretcher,
    though they did not show Daryl. At the end of the previous episode, when Michonne was seated on
    the church steps rebonding with her katana and heard rustling in the bushes and went to investigate,
    Daryl steps out and tells someone still in the bushes ‘it’s ok, come out’. Is it Beth and Carol, and, perhaps others from the hospital?
    Apparently next week it will focus on Abraham and Co.